Changing your Yahoo password is one way to protect your account from hackers. You should always change your Yahoo password every few days or months so that if someone already knows your password, they automatically lose access to your account. But when you can’t change it or you forget it, the only option left is to reset it using available recovery options. In this guide, we will walk you through the available methods to reset your Yahoo password.
Yahoo is one of the best email service providers used worldwide to receive or send email. The amazing features it offers allow users to get the best experience. However, this does not guarantee prevention of cyber attacks. Hacking is very common these days no matter what email service you use, including Yahoo. And, if your Yahoo account gets hacked or you forget your Yahoo password, that can put you in a dilemma. Nothing can save you unless you quickly reset your password using the recovery information added to your account.
How can I recover my Yahoo Mail password?
This is a question that pops up on the minds of most Yahoo users, and if you’re one of them, here’s what you need to reset your Yahoo password:
- Recovery phone number or
- Recovery email address
These are the two most important pieces of information you need to recover your Yahoo account. In case you have not linked your phone number to your Yahoo account, you can use the recovery email address and vice versa. You must have at least one option added to your account to ensure a smooth Yahoo account recovery.
Additionally, Yahoo security questions are no longer available as an account recovery option. So if you want to protect your Yahoo account, be sure to add an alternate phone number and email address to reset your password when needed.
How do I sign in to my Yahoo email account if I forgot my password?
If you forget your Yahoo password, you can reset it in any of the following ways:
1. Reset Yahoo password without recovery email
To reset your Yahoo password without using a recovery email address, follow these steps:
- Access the Yahoo Login Assistant
- You will see three options with ‘Recovery email address’ removed. Now you just need to enter ‘Login email or mobile number’ or ‘Recovery phone number’ in the empty field and click ‘Continue’.
- You must choose your phone number if you do not have access to the recovery email address.
- Enter the two missing digits of your phone number to confirm, click ‘Submit’.
- Enter the code you received on your phone number and click ‘Confirm’
- Once your code is verified, you will be allowed to change your Yahoo password without using your old password; just enter the new password and click ‘Continue’; Avoid using variations of old passwords or your personal information. You can also click ‘Password Help’ for tips on creating strong Yahoo passwords.
Note- If you have two-step verification turned on, you can’t sign in to Yahoo Mail without verification. If you don’t have access to your phone, you can reset your password using your recovery email address.
2. Reset Yahoo password without recovering phone number
To reset your Yahoo account password without using a recovery phone number, you need to follow these steps:
- Access the Yahoo Login Assistant
- You will see three options where ‘Recovery phone number’ has been removed. Now you just need to enter ‘Login email address or mobile number’ or ‘Recovery email address’ in the empty field and click ‘Continue’.
- You can choose ‘Verify with Google Account’ or ‘Email code’ or click ‘See more’
- Yahoo recently added a new recovery option where you can reset your password by scanning a QR code with the mobile device you use to sign in to Yahoo.
- If you choose ‘Verify with Google Account’, you can simply log in to your Yahoo account by entering your Gmail credentials if you have already added a Gmail account as your recovery email address.
- If you choose the ‘Email Code’ option, you can simply enter the verification code sent to your recovery email address and click ‘Confirm’.
- Select the ‘Scan QR code’ option, you will need to scan the QR code provided to you by Yahoo; for the Yahoo Mail app open on your phone, go to profile picture> account management> QR scanner; Scan the QR code you see on your desktop screen with your mobile device.
- After following any of the recovery options listed, you should be able to create a new Yahoo password; Click ‘Continue’ to continue.
You can now access your Yahoo account security page to sign in with your new password.
Advice- It’s important to change your Yahoo password from time to time to protect your account. Also, make sure your recovery information like phone number, alternate email address is up to date so you don’t allow hackers to access your account.
How to recover Yahoo password without phone number or email?
If you don’t have access to the recovery phone number or email address you set up with your Yahoo email account, you won’t be able to recover your Yahoo account or reset your password. Yahoo will need at least one thing to verify that you are the real owner of the account you want to recover. So giving all your personal information to Yahoo to receive a code that you can use to reset your account password and protect it is indispensable.
Note- No Yahoo recovery tool can help you reset your password without asking for confirmation. So beware of scammers asking for money to recover your Yahoo account. For help and more information, you can also visit Yahoo’s contact page.