How Did Ray Charles Go Blind? – Ray Charles was an American singer, songwriter, pianist, and alto saxophonist. Charles is regarded as one of the most iconic and influential singers in history, and was often referred to by contemporaries as “The Genius”.
Among friends and fellow musicians Ray Charles preferred being called “Brother Ray”. Charles was blinded during childhood, possibly due to glaucoma.
How Did Ray Charles Go Blind?
Ray Charles started to lose his sight at the age of four or probably five. He was blind by the age of seven likely as a result of glaucoma. Destitute, uneducated, and mourning the loss of her younger son, Aretha Robinson used her connections in the local community to find a school that would accept a blind African-American pupil.
Despite Charles’s initial protest, he attended school at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind in St. Augustine from 1937 to 1945.
Wiki, Biography, Age
Ray Charles was born on 23 September 1930 in Albany, Georgia, United States. He passed away at the age of 73. His zodiac sign was Libra. His educational background and qualifications details are under review. Whenever we find anything related to this topic then we update this information.
Ray Charles’s marital status was Divorced. He married twice. Charles’s first marriage lasted less than a year, his second marriage lasted 22 years. Throughout his life, Charles had many relationships with women with whom he fathered a dozen children. His first wife’s name is Eileen Williams and his second wife’s name is Della Beatrice Howard Robinson.
Ray Charles has a total of 12 children with ten different women:
- Evelyn Robinson, born in 1949 (Daughter of Louise Flowers)
- Ray Charles Robinson Jr., born May 25, 1955 (Son with wife Della Bea Robinson)
- David Robinson, born in 1958 (Son with wife Della Bea Robinson)
- Charles Wayne Hendricks, born on October 1, 1959 (Son of Margie Hendricks, one of the Raelettes)
- Robert Robinson, born in 1960 (Son with wife Della Bea Robinson)
- Renee Robinson, born in 1961 (Daughter of Mae Mosely Lyles)
- Sheila Robinson, born in 1963 (Daughter of Sandra Jean Betts)
- Reatha Butler, born in 1966
- Alexandra Bertrand, born in 1968 (Daughter of Mary-Chantal Bertrand)
- Vincent Kotchounian, born in 1977 (Son of Arlette Kotchounian)
- Robyn Moffett, born in 1978 (Daughter of Gloria Moffett)
- Ryan Corey Robinson den Bok, was born in 1987 (Son of Mary Anne den Bok).
Read More – What is Ciara Riley Wilson Ethnicity?